Our Research Publications
Dr. Zahid Hussain
I. Selected Publications in Gastroenterology
01. Inflammation and Impaired Gut Physiology in Postoperative Ileus: Mechanisms and the treatment options. Hussain Z and Park H. J Neurogastroenterology Motility 2022;28: 517-530.
02. Altered Intestinal Permeability and Drug Repositioning in a Postoperative Ileus Guinea Pig Model. Kim YM, Hussain Z, Lee YJ, Park H. J Neurogastroenterology Motility 2021; 27:639-649.
03. Altered composition of fecal microbiota, organic acids, and the effect of probiotics in the guinea pig model of postoperative ileus. Shin SY, Hussain Z, Lee YJ, Park H. Neurogastro-enterology Motility 2020; 19:e13966.
04. The dual infective burden of Helicobacter pylori and intestinal parasites: Good or bad news for the host? Hussain Z, El-Omar E, Lee YY. Indian Journal of Gastroenterology 2020; 39:111-116.
05. The Effect of Trimebutine on the Overlap Syndrome Model of Guinea Pigs. Hussain Z, Jung HD, Lee YJ, Park H. J Neurogastroenterol and Motility 2018; 24:669-675.
06. Corticotrophin-Releasing Factor-Mediated Effects of DA-9701 in Postoperative Ileus Guinea Pig Model. So Young, Hussain Z, Lee YJ, Park H. Neurogastroenterology and Motility 2018; 30:e13385.
07. Inflammation, impaired motility, and permeability in a guinea pig model of postoperative ileus. Lee YJ, Hussain Z, Huh CW, Lee YJ, Park H. J Neurogastroenterol and Motility 2018; 24:147-158.
08. The effect of peripheral CRF peptide and water avoidance stress on colonic and gastric transit in the guinea pig. Hussain Z, Kim HW, Huh CW, Lee YJ, Park H. Yonsei Medical Journal 2017; 58:872-877.
09. YH12852, a potent and highly selective 5-HT4 receptor agonist, significantly improve both upper and lower gastrointestinal motility in a guinea pig model of postoperative ileus. Hussain Z, Lee YJ, Yang H, Jeong EJ, Sim JY, Park H. Neurogastroenterol and Motility 2017; 29:1-6.
10. The effects and mechanism of action of methane on ileal motor function. Park YM, Lee YJ, Hussain Z, Lee YH, Park H. Neurogastroenterology and Motility 2017; 29:e13077.
11. The effect of DA-9701 in opioid-induced bowel dysfunction of guinea pig. Hussain Z, Rhee KW, Lee YJ, Park H. Journal of Neurogastroenterology and Motility 2016; 22: 529-538
II. Selected Publications Virology & Hepatology
01. Immunological and molecular epidemiological characteristics of acute and fulminant viral hepatitis A. Hussain Z, Husain SA, Almajhdi FN, Kar P. Virology J 2011; 8:254
02. Genetic dissection of naturally occurring basal core promoter mutations of the hepatitis B virus reveals the silent phenotype in the overlapping X gene. Hussain Z, Jung SH, Ryu DK and Ryu WS. Journal of General Virology 2009; 90: 2272-81.
03. Diagnostic utility of hepatitis C virus core antigen in hemodialysis patients.Medhi S, Potukuchi SK, Polipalli SK, Swargiary SS, Deka P, Choudhary A, Begum N, Hussain Z, Ahlawat RS, Kar P. Clinical Biochemistry 2008; 41:447-52.
04. Does mutation of the hepatitis A virus exist in North India? Hussain Z, Husain SA, Pasha ST, Anand R, Chand A, Polipalli SK, Rehman S, Kar P. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2008; 53: 506-10.
05. Prevalence of B virus genotype D in pre-core mutants among chronic liver disease patients from New Delhi, India. Polipalli SK, Chattopadhyay S, Malik A, Hussain Z, Medhi S, Begum N, Husain SA, Kar P. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2007 52; 565-569.
06. The virological course of hepatitis A virus as determined by real-time RT-PCR: Correlation with biochemical, immunological, and genotypic profiles. Hussain Z, Das BC, Husain SA, Chattopadhyay S, Polipalli SK, Ahmed T, Begum N, Medhi S, Verghese A, Theamboonlers A, Poovorawan Y, Kar P. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2006; 12: 4683-4688.
07. Hepatitis B virus genotypes in acute and fulminant hepatitis from North India using two different molecular approaches. Chattopadhyay S, Das BC, Hussain Z, Kar P. Hepatology Research 2006; 35: 79-82.
08. Increasing trend of acute hepatitis A in north India: Need for identification of high-risk population for vaccination. Hussain Z, Das BC, Husain SA, Murthy NS, Kar P. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2006; 21: 689-693.
09. Evaluation of Immunogenicity and reactogenicity of recombinant DNA hepatitis B vaccine (Enivac-HB) produced in India. Hussain Z, Ali SS, Husain SA, Raish M, Sharma DR, Kar P. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2005;11: 7165-7168.
10. Hepatitis A Viral Genotypes and Clinical Relevance: Clinical and molecular characterization of Hepatitis A virus isolates from northern India. Hussain Z, Das BC, Husain SA, Asim M, Chattopadhyay S, Malik A, Theamboonlers A, Poovorawan Y, Kar P. Hepatology Research 2005; 32: 16-24.
11. Antituberculosis drug-induced hepatitis: Risk factors, prevention, and management. Hussain Z, Kar P, Husain S A. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 2003; 41, 1226-1232
III. Selected Publications Cancer
01. S-adenosylmethionine blocks osteosarcoma cells proliferation and invasion in vitro and tumor metastasis in vivo: therapeutic and diagnostic clinical applications. Parashar S, Cheishvili D, Arakelian A, Hussain Z, Tanvir I, Khan HA, Szyf M, Rabbani SA. Cancer Medicine 2015; 4:732-44.
02. Carbohydrate-linked organotin (IV) complexes as human topoisomerase Iα inhibitor and their antiproliferative effects against the human carcinoma cell line. Khan RA, Yadav S, Hussain Z, Arjmand F, Tabassum S. Dalton Transactions 2014; 43:2534-48.
03. Chiral Heterobimetallic Complexes Targeting Human DNA-Topoisomerase Iα. Tabassum S, Ahmad A, Khan RA, Hussain Z, Srivastav S, Srikrishna S, Arjmand F. Dalton Transactions 2013; 42:16749-61.
04. S-adenosylmethionine, a methyl donor, up-regulates tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2 in colorectal cancer. Hussain Z, Khan MI, Shahid M, Almajhdi FN. Genetic and Molecular Research 2013; 12: 1106-1118.
05. Novel Pd(ii)-salen complexes showing high in vitro antiproliferative effects against human hepatoma cancer by modulating specific regulatory genes. Azam M, Hussain Z, Warad I, Al-Resayes SI, Khan MS, Shakir M, Trzesowska-Kruszynska A, Kruszynski R. Dalton Transactions 2012; 41:10854-10864.
Chapters in Book
01. Zahid Hussain (2011). Hepatitis A: Clinical, Epidemiological and Molecular Characteristics, Viral Hepatitis - Selected Issues of Pathogenesis and Diagnostics, Sergey L. Mukomolov (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-760-4, InTech.
02. Zahid Hussain (2013). Genomic Heterogeneity of Hepatitis Viruses (A-E): Role in Clinical Implications and Treatment, Practical Management of Chronic Viral Hepatitis, Prof. Gaetano Serviddio (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-1109-2, InTech, DOI: 10.5772/55231
Posters and Oral presentations in conferences
01. Evaluation of Immunogenicity and reactogenicity of recombinant DNA hepatitis B vaccine (Enivac-HB) produced in India. Hussain Z, Ali SS, Husain SA, Sharma DR, Kar P. Poster Presentation at 44th annual conference of Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG 12-14 March 2004).
02. An overview of clinical, epidemiological, and molecular characteristics of hepatitis A virus. Hussain Z. Oral presentation at BIT’s 1st Annual World Congress of Microbes-2011 (WCM-2011), Beijing, India.
03. The effects of YH12852 on the experimental model of Postoperative Ileus in Guinea Pig. Hussain Z, Lee Young Ju, and Hyojin Park. Presidential Poster and Oral Presentation. 4th Biennial Congress of Asian Neurogastroenterology and Motility Association (ANMA), 7-8 Feb 2015, New Delhi, India.
04. The animal model of overlap syndrome induced by corticotropin-releasing factor. Hussain Z, Lee Young Ju, and Hyojin Park. J of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Vol. 31, Supplement 3 Asian Pacific Digestive Week, 2016 (APDW 2016), November 2-5, Kobe, Japan.
05. The effect of peripheral CRF peptide and water avoidance stress on colonic and gastric transit in guinea pigs. Hussain Z, Kim IY, Kim HK, Huh WC, Lee YJ and Hyojin Park. Asian Pacific Digestive Week, 2017, September 23-26, Hong Kong, China.
06. The Effect of Trimebutine on the Overlap Syndrome Model of Guinea Pigs. Hussain Z, Da Hyun Jung, Young Ju Lee, and Hyojin Park. Korean Digestive Disease Week, 2017, Nov. 23-25, Seoul, Korea.
07. Participate as Delegate in Asian Pacific Digestive Week (APDW), 2018, 15-18 November, Seoul, Korea.
08. Alteration of intestinal permeability and effect of drugs on postoperative ileus in a guinea pig model. Kim YM, Hussain Z, Lee YJ, Park H. Supplement to Gastroenterology, Volume 158, Issue 6, Supplement 1, S-626, May 01, 2020. DDW Abstract.
09. Altered composition of fecal microbiota, organic acids, and the effect of probiotics in the guinea pig model of postoperative ileus. Shin SY, Hussain Z, Lee YJ, Park H. Supplement to Gastroenterology, Volume 158, Issue 6, Supplement 1, S-546- 547, May 01, 2020. DDW Abstract.
10. Participate as a Delegate in Asian Pacific Digestive Week, 2021 Virtual, 19-22 August 2021 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.